OS grid reference:- SE 030 372
Haworth, situated above the Worth Valley in the Pennine moors, is chiefly famous for being home to the Bronte sisters, whose father was curate at the local church, but has much more to offer the visitor. The Bronte sisters were born in Thornton, to the west of Bradford, but arrived in Haworth in 1821 and wrote most of their famous works while living at Haworth Parsonage.
The name Haworth is first recorded in 1209 and meant "hedged enclosure". The village's steep characterful main street wends its way down to Haworth Station, part of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, an authentic preserved steam railway. The village still remains much as it did when the Bronte family lived there. The Black Bull Inn, where Branwell Bronte, the only brother of Charlotte, Emily and Anne, is reputed to have begun his descent into alcoholism, still stands near the church as does the the apothecary whichonce legally supplied Branwell with opium to fuel his addiction.
The cobbled Main Street lined with old dark stone houses now contains a mixture of tea rooms, book shops, antique and gift shops. Only the tower now remains of the original St Michael and All Angels Church, a brass plate marks the position of the Bronte family vault.
The Bronte Way is a 43 mile long distance trail, which passes some of the local sites connected to the Bronte sisters. Bronte Waterfalls, Bronte Bridge and the Bronte Stone Chair are included, as are Top Withens and Ponden Hall which both featured in Charlotte Bronte's famous tale of 'Wuthering Heights'. The isolated, abandoned farm at Top Withens on Haworth Moor is situated about 5 kilometres to the south-west of Haworth.
Haworth 1940's Weekend
Haworth’s popular 1940’s weekend has to date has raised almost £100,000 for charity. The event attracts over 25,000 visitors a day. Visitors are encouraged to arrive in 1940s dress reflecting life in Yorkshire from the 1940’s. Each year the event has developed a war time theme. A wide range of nostalgic events take place throughout the village, including vintage vehicle displays.
The Bronte Parsonage Museum
The former home of the Bronte family, Haworth's Georgian parsonage is a museum to Britain's greatest literary family. The house contains period rooms containing original furnishings, and displays, paintings, books and manuscripts belonging to the Bronte family. The Reverend Patrick Bronte, a native of Loughbrickland, County Down, accepted the perpetual curacy of Hawoth in 1820 and arrived at the parsonage with his wife Maria Branwell and their family of six children.
The Parsonage is now a museum owned and maintained by the Bronte Society. The house contains period rooms containing original furnishings, and displays, paintings, books and manuscripts belonging to the family. Lovingly preserved, it is one of the principal attractions for Bronte enthusiasts visiting Haworth.