Home

City of York
West Yorkshire
Yorkshire Dales
South Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
Yorkshire Coast
Howardian Hills AONB
Nidderdale AONB
North York Moors
East Yorkshire
Teesdale


City of York

York
Barley Hall
Bootham Bar
Breezy Knees
Garden

Clifford's Tower
Coppergate
Dick Turpin's Grave
Fairfax House
Fishergate Bar
Fossgate
Goddard's Garden
Goodramgate
Guy Fawkes Inn
Holy Trinity Church
Jorvik Viking Centre
The King's Manor
Mansion House
Merchant
Adventurers Hall

Micklegate Bar
Norman House
Petergate
Richard III Experience and Monk Bar
Roman Bath Museum
The Shambles
Snickelways
St. Martin le Grand
St. Olave's Church
St. William's College
Stonegate
Treasurer's House
Walmgate Bar
York Castle Museum
York City Walls
York Guildhall
York Minster
York Museum
Gardens

Yorkshire Museum


All Saint's Church, North Street


All Saints' Church, North Street, York is a Grade I listed building which is noted as containing the finest collection of medieval glass in York, mostly dating from the early fourteenth century. There are 11 windows with medieval glass, much of it complete and in its original state. Perhaps the most famous of these are the Prick of Conscience dating from circa 1410 and "Corporal acts of Mercy", which was possibly the gift of Nicholas Blackburn, Lord Mayor of York.

The first record of All Saints church occurs in 1089, when the patronage of the rectory was given to the nearby priory of Holy Trinity at Micklegate by one Ralph Paganell, a layman who had founded Holy Trinity. The first church of All Saints occupied the space between the current chancel and the west aisle of the nave.

The earliest part of the present church is the nave which dates from the twelfth century. The arcades date from the thirteenth century and the east end was rebuilt in the fourteenth century, when the chancel chapels were added. An anchorite building was erected at the west end in the fifteenth century and a squint made through the wall so that Dame Emma Raughton could observe and hear the mass being said. The elegant spire, which rises to 120 feet, is also a fifteenth cntury addition.

The colourful chancel ceiling was erected 1467-1472. The hammerbeams are in the form of angels who hold a variety of objects, including musical instruments and liturgical apparatus. The hexagonal wooden pulpit dates from 1675, around the top is a text from St Paul's epistle to the Romans. The floor of the church incorporates many medieval and later grave markers.

The church was restored between 1866 and 1867 by JB and W Atkinson of York, which included the rebuilding of the south aisle wall, the addition of a porch and a vestry, half of the roof being replaced, new seating provided throughout, the pillars and walls scraped, and a new organ provided. The church was restored again in 1991 by the architect Peter Marshall.

Churches of York

All Saints,
North Street
Holy Trinity,
Goodramgate
Holy Trinity,
Micklegate
St. Crux Parish
Room
St. Denys, Walmgate St. Helen's,
Stonegate
St. Martin le Grand St. Michael le Belfry
St. Olave's Church St. Mary's Abbey York Minster York Minster
Undercroft

The city of York

Abbeys and Churches of Yorkshire