Home

City of York
West Yorkshire
Yorkshire Dales
South Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
Yorkshire Coast
Howardian Hills AONB
Nidderdale AONB
North York Moors
East Yorkshire
Teesdale


City of York

York
Barley Hall
Bootham Bar
Breezy Knees
Garden

Clifford's Tower
Coppergate
Dick Turpin's Grave
Fairfax House
Fishergate Bar
Fossgate
Goddard's Garden
Goodramgate
Guy Fawkes Inn
Holy Trinity,
Goodramgate

Holy Trinity,
Micklegate

Jorvik Viking Centre
The King's Manor
Mansion House
Merchant
Adventurers Hall

Micklegate Bar
Norman House
Petergate
Richard III Experience and Monk Bar
Roman Bath Museum
The Shambles
Snickelways
St. Martin le Grand
St. Olave's Church
St. William's College
Stonegate
Treasurer's House
Walmgate Bar
York Castle Museum
York City Walls
York Guildhall
York Minster
York Museum
Gardens

Yorkshire Museum



Merchant Adventurers' Hall


Merchant Adventurers' Hall, YorkThe Merchant Adventurers' Hall, a medieval guildhall situated on Fossgate, was once one of the most important buildings in the medieval city of York. It is the finest surviving medieval guild hall in Britain and is a Grade I listed building..

Construction of the Merchant Adventurers' Hall commenced in 1357, during the reign of King Edward III and was completed four years later. It was built by a religious fraternity of men and women known as the 'Guild of Our Lord Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary'.

In 1430 the fraternity were granted a royal charter by King Henry VI and renamed 'The Mistry of Mercers'. It was further granted the status of the Company of Merchant Adventurers of York by Queen Elizabeth I in the sixteenth century.

The hall occupies the site of a former Norman mansion. The main part of the building consists of the semi timbered Great Hall, where meetings and the business of the guild took place.

The Great Hall is a timber-framed structure and was built over a five-year period. It is the largest timber-framed building in Britain still standing and used for its original purpose. The green Governor's Stall was moved to the Great Hall during the Georgian period and originates from the Assize Court at York Castle. The fireplace is an Elizabethan addition, further Georgian additions include the large windows and lecterns in the hall and chapel.

The undercroft served as a hospital or almshouse for the poor and destitute of the city of York from 1373 to as late as 1900. The walls of the undercroft are made of brick and are one of the earliest examples of brickwork in York.

The most striking feature of the Undercroft is the bright profusion of colourful heraldic banners which hang from the walls. These are the banners of the various city guilds, or livery companies, and each banner shows symbols relating to the occupation of the guild it represents.

The undercroft provides access to an attached chapel which was built in 1411 for the use of the ill and poor in the hospital as well as the members of the Merchant Adventurers' Guild.

The chapel was added to the building in 1411 to replace an earlier chapel which was attached to the Great Hall. The present furnishings of the chapel date from 1661. It is still used for worship.

A two-storey annexe on the Fossgate side was added in Elizabethan times. Additions to the building were made in the Georgian era which include large windows and lecterns in the hall and chapel. Prior to this the hall would have had much smaller windows, high up the walls

Many portraits hang on the walls of the Hall, many of them of Governors of the Company; others are of royalty or of benefactors of the Company. The Company also has a fine collection of photographs of Governors from the 1850s. The Merchant Adventurers' Hall is home to many remarkable collections including silver, furniture and paintings and is set in attractive gardens. The oak 'evidence' chest dates from the early fourteenth century and is one of the oldest pieces in the collections. In it were stored the title deeds to the many properties which the Company once owned. A display of the Company's antique and modern silver and jewellery is housed in the Governor's Parlour.

Merchant Adventurer's Hall, York Merchant Adventurer's Hall

The Hall belongs to and is still regularly used by The Company of Merchant Adventurers of the City of York. The Hall is open as a museum and can also be hired for parties, dinners and special occasions. It is also licensed for weddings and holds wedding receptions throughout the year.

Merchant Adventurer's Hall, YorkMerchant Adventurer's Hall, York

The Merchant Adventurers' Hall is accessed via a passageway from Fossgate.

Images courtesy of Paul Johnson

Historic Buildings in York

Barley Hall Bishopthorpe Palace Clifford's Tower Fairfax House
Guy Fawkes Inn Jacob's Well Mansion House Merchant
Adventurers Hall
Norman House St. William's College Treasurer's House York City Walls
York Guildhall


The city of York

Historic buildings in Yorkshire