Home

City of York
West Yorkshire
Yorkshire Dales
South Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
Yorkshire Coast
Howardian Hills AONB
Nidderdale AONB
North York Moors
East Yorkshire
Teesdale


City of York

York
Barley Hall
Bishopthorpe Palace
Bootham Bar
Breezy Knees
Garden

Clifford's Tower
Coppergate
Dick Turpin's Grave
Fairfax House
Fishergate Bar
Fossgate
Goddard's Garden
Goodramgate
Guy Fawkes Inn
Holy Trinity Church
Jorvik Viking Centre
Mansion House
Merchant
Adventurers Hall

Micklegate Bar
Norman House
Petergate
Richard III Experience and Monk Bar
Roman Bath Museum
The Shambles
Snickelways
St. Olave's Church
St. William's College
Stonegate
Treasurer's House
Walmgate Bar
York Castle Museum
York City Walls
York Guildhall
York Minster
York Museum
Gardens




Bishopthorpe Palace


Bishopthorpe Palace, a Grade I listed building, is situated at Bishopthorpe to the south of York. The palace stands on the River Ouse and is the official residence of the Archbishop of York.

Archbishop Walter de Grey purchased the village of Thorpe St Andrew, as it was then known, in 1226. The archbishop built the palace between 1241 and 1250 and demolished the old manor house which once occupied the site.

When completed the Palace was transferred to the ownership of the Dean and Chapter of York Minster, and became known as Bishopthorpe Palace.

Archbishop Thoresby extended his private rooms in 1365 and over a century later in 1483 Archbishop Rotherham doubled the size of the residential quarters with the addition the north wing, and upgraded the kitchens. The Palace was remodelled for Archbishop Drummond, in the Gothic Revival style, by Thomas Atkinson of York between 1763 and 1769. The architect John Carr designed the Gothic stable block and gatehouse. Between 1766 and 1769 the front of Bishopthorpe Palace was built with a new entrance hall and drawing room. A further addition to the north wing was undertaken in 1835 for Archbishop Harcourt who also had rooms built above the chapel.

The incumbent Archbishop of York, since 2005, is John Sentamu. In addition to functioning as the Archbishop's home and office of the Northern Province, the palace and its grounds are also used for charity open days, retreats, evening receptions, village fetes, and dinners.

In 1989 parts of the village, including the Palace were designated a conservation area. The Palace has a gatehouse, stables and a brewhouse and brewster's cottage.

Historic Buildings in York

Barley Hall Bishopthorpe Palace Clifford's Tower Fairfax House
Guy Fawkes Inn Jacob's Well Mansion House Merchant
Adventurers Hall
Norman House St. William's College Treasurer's House York City Walls
York Guildhall


The city of York

Historic buildings in Yorkshire