Home

City of York
West Yorkshire
Yorkshire Dales
South Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
Yorkshire Coast
Howardian Hills AONB
Nidderdale AONB
North York Moors
East Yorkshire
Teesdale


City of York

York
Barley Hall
Bootham Bar
Breezy Knees
Garden

Clifford's Tower
Coppergate
Dick Turpin's Grave
Fairfax House
Fishergate Bar
Fossgate
Goddard's Garden
Goodramgate
Guy Fawkes Inn
Holy Trinity,
Goodramgate

Holy Trinity,
Micklegate

Jorvik Viking Centre
Mansion House
Merchant
Adventurers Hall

Micklegate Bar
Norman House
Petergate
Richard III Experience and Monk Bar
Roman Bath Museum
The Shambles
Snickelways
St. Olave's Church
St. William's College
Stonegate
Treasurer's House
Walmgate Bar
York Castle Museum
York City Walls
York Guildhall
York Minster
York Museum
Gardens

Yorkshire Museum


Jacob's Well


Jacob's Well, an interesting Grade I listed building, stands on Trinity Lane, to the side of the church yard of Holy Trinity Church, Micklegate and is the parish room of the church. An unusual medieval building, it was built in around 1474 with an endowment given by Alderman Thomas Nelson.

Jacob's Well, YorkJacob's Well, York

The fifteenth century timber-framed building was constructed as the Chantry House of the priory priest. It originally consisted of an open hall and was extended in the early sixteenth century. The last prioress of St. Clement's, Dame Isabella Ward, retired to live in the house when the nunnery was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1536. Shortly before her death, Isabel gifted the building back to Holy Trinity Church to provide a charity for the parish.

In the eighteenth century, the building was used as a public house and an extra brick storey was added. It became unlicensed in 1904 - 1905 when it was purchased by the rector of the Holy Trinity Church. An extensive renovation was carried out on the building, which included the installation of a new staircase to the north of the original hall and a large bay window in the South Wall. The entrance was at this time improved by the addition of elaboarately carved entrance porch brackets and canopy, which came from the Wheatsheaf Inn in Davygate, formerly the town house of the Bishop of Durham.

A survey conducted in the early 1980's followed by monitoring by English Heritage, revealed that the medieval frame had been overloaded by the addition of the extra storey. The third storey was consequently removed and the roof replaced at its 1815 level. In the 1990's the Gild of Butchers decided to move from their Hall in the Shambles to Jacobs Well.

Historic Buildings in York

Barley Hall Bishopthorpe Palace Clifford's Tower Fairfax House
Guy Fawkes Inn Jacob's Well Mansion House Merchant
Adventurers Hall
Norman House St. William's College Treasurer's House York City Walls
York Guildhall

The city of York

Historic buildings in Yorkshire