Scar House Reservoir
OS grid reference:- SE 067 766
Scar House Reservoir is one of 3 reservoirs on the wild moorland at the head of the Nidderdale Valley, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, on the borders of he Yorkshire Dales National Park. The superb landscape provides excellent walking, cycling, horse riding, llama trekking and bird watching.
Together with Angram Reservoir and Gouthwaite Reservoir, Scar House attracts around 150,000 visitors a year. Both Angram and Scar House were built to supply water to the Bradford area which is transferred to Chellow Heights via the Nidd Aqueduct using only gravity.
The dam at Scar House, which was completed in 1936 rises to 55 metres above the river, measures almost 600 metres long and is 71 metres (233 feet) in height. The reservoir is fed from Angram reservoir, which in turn is fed predominantly from the sides of Great Whernside, which summit at 704 metres (2,310 feet)is the highest point of the eastern flank of Wharfedale.
Scar House was the last reservoir to be constructed in the Nidd Valley, building took fifteen years.