OS grid reference:- SE 670 793
Historic Nunnington Hall in Ryedale is owned by the National Trust and stands on the banks of the River Rye. Above the house Caulkley's Bank ridge lies between Nunnington and the Vale of York to the south.
A house has occupied the site since at least the thirteenth century. William Parr, 1st Marquess of Northampton, the brother of Henry VIII's sixth and last wife, Catherine Parr, and one of the most influential men at the court of King Edward VI, built the oldest parts of the surviving house, which now form part of the west front. The estate was forfeited after his death in 1571, due to his part in the plot to place Lady Jane Grey on the throne. One of the later tenants was Dr Robert Huicke who was physician to Catherine Parr and Queen Elizabeth I.
In the seventeenth century the manor was sold to Ranald Graham, a merchant of Lewisham. It was inherited by his nephew Sir Richard Graham of Netherby, who was created Viscount Preston in 1681, who was responsible for the construction of much of the house which we see today. He was attainted in 1689 for attempting to join King James II in France and his property was confiscated, but later returned after he received a pardon.
The oldest part of the current house is the Stone Hall, which is part of the original sixteenth century building. This room is decorated with animal skins and hunting trophies. Lord Preston's bedroom has been decorated in the style of an Edwardian dining room, and contains portraits of the Graham family. The seventeenth century Oak Hall was remodelled by Lord Preston and contains fine wooden panelling. Nunnington Hall also contains the Carlisle Collection of miniature rooms, with 16 miniature rooms, fitted out with furnishings at an eighth of their original size.
In addition, there are 8 acres of glorious gardens to explore, the main garden is a walled area to the south of the house. Beyond the walled garden are extensive orchards and wildflower meadows.