North Yorkshire

City of York
West Yorkshire
Yorkshire Dales
South Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
Howardian Hills AONB
Nidderdale AONB
North York Moors
East Yorkshire

Howardian Hills AONB

Howardian Hills
All Saints Church,

Dutch House
Wildlife Garden

Castle Howard
Castle Howard

Gilling Castle
Gilling East
Hovingham Hall
Howsham Mill
Kirkham Priory
Newburgh Priory
Nunnington Hall
Scampston Walled Garden
Sheriff Hutton
Sheriff Hutton

St. Gregory's Minster
St. Michael's Church

Yorkshire Arboretum Yorkshire Lavender


OS grid reference:- SE 720 680

Welburn is a characterful North Yorkshire village. It is situated on the edge of the scenic Howardian Hills and on the north bank of the River Derwent. It lies  3.8 miles from the imposing Castle Howard. Walks from the village lead north into the Castle Howard Estate with its magnificent monuments and temples.

The pretty traditional village which lies about 14 miles from York, is set in a popular area for walkers and bird-watchers. It has one school, Welburn Community School, which stands at the centre of the village.There is a redeveloped eco-friendly Village Hall, a pub, the Crown and Cushion, and the Leaf and Loaf, village bakery and cafe.

Crambeck, formerly a reformatory school, was used in the Roman period times as the site of a pottery. The Roman ceramic produced here is known as Crambeck Ware.

Near Crambeck is Castle Howard railway station which is now disused. It lies on the York to Scarborough Line, the station was opened 1845 and closed to passengers in 1930. A road was built from the station to the stately home of Castle Howard. It was decommissioned and became a public road in the early 1900's.

The Crown and Cushion pub on the main street (pictured above right) specialises in bringing its guests high quality food, drink, service and surroundings; including a traditional bar, tap room and 3 separate dining areas. There is also a large outdoor tiered terrace with stunning views.

The handsome Reading Room on Water Lane is a Grade II listed building, it was constructed in 1864 as a Dame School.

The village church of St John the Evangelist dates to 1859-1865 and is built of honey-coloured limestone by Mallinson and Healey. It has been designated as a grade II listed building.

Yorkshire Towns and Villages